PHAME Board of Directors, 2013-14
- Lara Miller, Chair - Development Director, Sustainable Northwest. Favorite PHAME moment: "I will never forget being introduced to PHAME at The Standard's Volunteer Expo in 2011. It was a beautiful sunny day, and the PHAME Choir sang their hearts out."
- Kathy Plass, Vice Chair - Retired principal and school administrator. Favorite PHAME moment: "The PHAME moment that first captured my heart was when I heard the choir singing “Somewhere” from West Side Story at a performance. I no longer associate Tony and Maria with those lyrics, but rather the smiling PHAME students singing: “there’s a place for us, somewhere a place for us….there’s a time for us…..” Every time I hear this song today, it brings tears to my eyes because PHAME provides that somewhere to so many."
- Rebecca Youngstrom, Secretary - Administrator, Ronald W. Atwood, P.C., Attorneys as Law. Favorite PHAME moment: "Listening to the iPad music class at PHAME's last open house was transformational. The beauty and variety of music written by our students was exceptional. I had goosebumps throughout!"
- Marc Aubertin, Treasurer - Accounts Receivable Manager, Portland Community College. Favorite PHAME moment: "I will never forget PHAME's production of 'Grease' at Mt. Hood Community College - so much fun and the students and audiences were having a blast the whole show."
Members at large:
- Mac Ehlen - President, The Ehlen Group LLC. Favorite PHAME moment: "Seeing the joy on my sister’s face after getting a standing ovation during her performances is one of the most inspiring things I have ever seen. PHAME has the ability to change lives."
- Eryn Karpinski Hoerster - Associate Attorney, Garvey Schubert Barer. Favorite PHAME moment: "I love the PHAME choir the most – there’s something about singing together that’s good for the soul, and listening to the members of the PHAME choir brings me joy!"
- John Hutzler - County Auditor, Washington County, Oregon. Favorite PHAME moment: “After operating in relative obscurity for 25 years, the growth of the organization in recent years in terms of the professionalism of the staff, the breadth of program options, the quality of the board, and the support and recognition from the Portland community has been breathtaking.”
- Jeri Inger - Marriage and family therapist in private practice. Favorite PHAME moment: "'Art washes away from the soul the dust of every day life,'" wrote Pablo Picasso. I love to see that come true in PHAME students every day."
- Michele Mannix - Mental health therapist, addiction specialist and homeless advocate. Favorite PHAME moment: "My first inspirational moment with PHAME was at the 2012 gala event. The enthusiasm and energy was contagious. PHAME breaks down the isolation so often felt by this population."
- Carol Rance - Semi-retired professional. Favorite PHAME moment: "PHAME student Aaron Hobson's performance and story at the 2012 gala was just incredible."
- Laurie Dunn Thomas - Director of Marketing, LaCrosse Footwear, Inc. Favorite PHAME moment: "PHAME's H is for Honored tour brought so much joy to the student performers and allowed a much larger part of our community to engage with the talent and energy of the organization. My sister's pride in performing and time spent with her friends was priceless."
- Barbara Smith - Team Leader, Real Estate Services, IBM. Favorite PHAME moment: "The moment I saw the choir on stage at The Aladdin theater performing Imagine in 2010 my heart just melted."
- Ryan Wayman - Managing Partner, Pride Financial Partners. Favorite PHAME moment: "PHAME's Grease production hooked me! The minute I saw those students on stage for the first time, absolutely blew me away and made me a life long supporter!"
- Gretchen Wernert - Director of IT Business Relations, The Standard. Favorite PHAME moment: “My defining moment for PHAME was the premier of ‘In This Together,’ the documentary about the PHAME tour. I will never forget the excitement you could feel as I walked into the Hollywood Theater. I was blown away by the number of people in the audience. The film itself was awesome – the individual student stories made me laugh and brought me to tears, the effort and dedication that went into the tour inspired and amazed me and the exposure to the student body was life changing."
If you are interested in learning more about PHAME's Board of Directors, or expressing interest in being considered for board or commitee membership, please contact Executive Director Stephen Marc Beaudoin at firstname.lastname@example.org